Physical activity tones your muscles and burns kilojoules. Regular physical activity is essential for maintaining a healthy mind as well as a healthy body.
Staying active with weight bearing exercise will help keep your bones strong.
If you aren’t used to exercising, don’t push yourself too hard – easy does it. This is a lifestyle change, not a competition.
Please check with your doctor prior to undertaking any exercise program
1. Go for a walk – a great start to better health
• Buy yourself a pedometer to see how many steps you take during a normal day.
• 10,000 steps per day will help maintain your health.
• Start with a walk for 20 minutes x 3 times a week and build up to a brisk walk for 30 minutes x 5 times a week. This is a great start for general health and fitness.
• Start with 10,000 x steps per day; then add 200 x steps per day each week.
2. How much water to drink
• Hydration is so important when you increase your exercise activity.
• Aim for 2 x litres a day. When you are exercising you need to drink at least an extra 1 to 2 litres to keep yourself hydrated.
3. Find exercise that you love to do
• Try something you’ve always wanted to do, but never have.
• Whether it be hiking, swimming, golf, dancing, or even rock climbing – you never know, you may just discover your passion.
4. Join a gym
• A great way to increase your fitness is working alongside a personal trainer.
• Your personal trainer can write a program for you and review it as you get fitter, faster, and stronger.